HomeStoreForumsWikiiPhone Native AppsiPhone AppsiPhone Apps modmyifone Downloadsmodmyifone Links

Go Back   ModMyiFone.com | iPhone forums, iPhone hacks, iPhone unlock > Computer Modding Software > Windows Specific Modding Discussion
Register FAQ Members List READ THIS Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Windows Specific Modding Discussion Any modding questions which are specific to Windows should be posted here.

iPhone Optimized MMi | Browser Optimized MMi

Get more out of ModMyiFone by joining our free community. By registering you get privileges to download files from our downloads section and you may also post your questions in our forums! It's fast, free, and easy!

Opportunities at MMi | 1.1.4 Unlock|Jailbreak OS X / Win

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2007, 09:37 PM

Device + Firmware: iPhone 1.1.4 + jailbreak (launch day)
Operating System: Windows XP
Send a message via AIM to arthursdomain
WINDOWS MODDING FAQ (please Read Before Posting!)

Okay, so after the same question over and over again, and they being posted very plainly at the top in stickies, I decided to make this place a place of common questions. The list will grow as the questions grow.

!!!LOOK FOR YOUR QUESTION IN HERE FIRST BEFORE POSTING!!!

If your question is not here, or you find out the answer you can post it here.

MOST IMPORTANT!! READ THE GUIDES/WIKI FIRST. IT IS THE MOST COMPREHENSIVE GUIDE LIST ON THE MARKET!

WINDOWS SPECIFIC GUIDES:
- Modding your iPhone for Windows 101 (covers jailbreak)
- Modding your iPhone for Windows 102 (covers ringtones, carrier logos, icons)
- Modding your iPhone for Windows 103 (covers theme/skinning)
- Skinning for PC 102 (covers theme/skinning)
- Installing SSH for Windows (covers ssh installation)
- Installing 3rd Party Apps (covers 3rd party app installation using winscp)
- DVD to iPhone (covers dvd to iphone video conversion)
- How to Create a Graphic Carrier Logo using Photoshop (covers photoshoping)
- How to Create a Text Carrier Logo using Photoshop (covers photoshoping)
- How to Download Pictures OFF of your iPhone (covers programs to use)
- How to quickly swap out themes in the ipb format (covers programs and installation of perl)

WINDOWS MODDING FAQ:
Q: I did all the steps correctly, but my icons don't show up?

A: double check that you followed all the right steps. check your make sure that when your putfile you get a fileref:1, if your using manzana, and you dont see your icons or graphics, make sure you are fully restarting your phone by holding down power until the red slider appears, and then slide, wait, then press the power back ,you should see the silver apple if done correctly.

Q: Im stuck on the "Booting iphone..." in jailbreak?

A: first off, no it shouldnt take that long. secondly, make sure that you held down the power and home button long enough. You should hold them until a little after the second message appears. DO NOT release after the message "sending files" appears, keep holding it until a little after the second message appears.

Q: How do i add my own background? (or something to that effect)

A: read Modding the iPhone for Windows 103 or PC Skinnning 102, if your looking for pre made backgrounds, check the download sections here.

Q:
It says "<fill in your file here> is not recignized as an internal or external command."

A: This mean that either the file your accessing is NOT a program, or in the case that it is a program like jailbreak.exe, that file "jailbreak.exe" is not in the same folder as the one your are executing the command. Make sure all files (NOT FOLDERS) are in the phonedmg folder. if you see a folder in your phonedmg folder, you need to get the contents OUT of that folder and into the phonedmg folder.

Q: How do i delete something that i put on my phone?

A: you can use two things, rmdir /location/location/location/file.fileextension (iphoneinterface), you can download manzana or similar programs, and right click on the file and press delete.

Q: My phone is bricked aka. frozen, stuck on the apple screen or some screen.

A: Hold power and home until your screen goes into restore mode, place it back on the dock and have it resync with itunes for a FULL FACTORY RESTORE.

Q: I lost all my data!! (calendar,contacts,etc.) what can i do?

A: -IF- you did not sync to itunes while 'wiped out' you can dock your iphone and press the restore button in itunes to retrieve your data.

Q: Modding after the update 1.0.1 -- can we still mod, is it any different, can i jailbreak it?

A: Yes, everything is fine, jailbreak is the same and the modding continues... If you hadnt already updated, you WILL lose all mods prior to upgrading, and will have to jailbreak once again.

Q: Why cant i delete anything in ssh using winscp?

A: You need to download and install the ssh-binkit - unzip the file anywhere, ssh into your iphone, copy all files from the ssh-binkit into the root directory, you also need to make ALL permissions for every file executable (right click and click permissions and click on the X's).

Q: How do i change <insert your image here> image?

A: The easiest way to figure this out on your own is to download the stock iphone images. once you have this in your possession, you have access to every single graphic (that we know of) on the phone. open it in explorer and go to thumbnail mode, you can visually see which icons are which and also know the icon name. To find where it goes look at the awesome iphone directory list and you can do a -find- <image name> and you will know exactly where to put it.

Q: How do i get images/files/apps on to my iphone?

A: There are a few tools and for NEW modders i would go with manzana or iphone directory both can be found in our windows downloads section
because these things are constantly updated, look for the newest release. with these two programs you can transfer files from your computer to your iphone with a nice GUI.

Q: How do i get ringtones on to my iphone?

A: For windows there is only one, iRingtoner, and awesome little app that does what its made to do, and that is install ringtones on to phones. drag and drop your favorite mp3 into the simple and easy to use iRingtoner program and thats it.

Q: How do i get 3rd party apps on my iphone , like NES emulator?

A: Read this Installing 3rd Party Apps on iPhone Windows , please note you must have ssh installed on the iphone first.

Q: Well then, how do i install ssh?

A: (until i make a guide on this) visit cre.ations.net - True Nate's Blog - HOWTO Install SSH on your iPhone

Q: How do i restore the original icons or any images that i modded back to its original state?

A: well you cant with a one button approach. you can do two things, you can factory reset your phone (hold down power and home for a while until you get the restore mode and sync) or you can get them from our stock image folder in the downloads section and manually replace all the icons you touched.

Q: -sh: line 96: /bin/rm: Permission denied.

A: need to make sure that you downloaded and installed the ssh bin kit , then make sure all the files are executeable.

Q: if i do the update, will i lose all my custom icons/ringtones?

A: yes

Q: if i do the update, will i have to jailbreak again? if so do i have to do something special?

A: yes you will need to jailberak again, but nothing is different in the steps.

Q: if i do the update, can i still use iphoneinterface?

A: yes, iphoneinterface and all other type programs will work

Q: what is the demoapp?

A: the demo app is an application that will run a movie if a demo.mov is placed in the proper directory. this movie cannot be paused or controlled in anyway, and is for demo purposes only. unless using it for a background image, it is not used. this app does not come with an icon by default, so if you add it to your displayorder.plist, it will now show up until you give it an icon.

Q: what is the fieldtest app?

A: fieldtest app will display at&t phone information, some have said that this can be used to phone home and tell at&t what youve been up to or where you are. this app does not come with an icon by default, so if you add it to your displayorder.plist, it will now show up until you give it an icon.

Q:
when i start the new app i just installed, it shows a blank screen and then goes back to the homescreen?A:you need to chmod +x the main application file, normally the file name is the same name as the program and is located in the <program name>.app folder that you just uploaded. If using WINSCP right click and press properties and check off the boxes with the "x".

Q: how come i have a paper and a pencil looking icon on my homescreen?

A: this is because you have a program with no icon. make sure there is an icon.png in the folder of the application that is showing this icon.

More coming soon.

Last edited by JakeyBoy : 08-17-2007 at 07:25 PM.
Digg StumbleUpon Delicious Reddit Newsvine Google Yahoo Thanks Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to arthursdomain For This Useful Post:
poetic_folly (08-10-2007), TyWebb (08-16-2007)
Old 08-10-2007, 01:25 AM
I Own This Place

Device + Firmware: iPhone | 1.1.4 | Unlocked
Operating System: OS X Leopard 10.5.2
Thanked 1,062 Times in 590 Posts

You're swell.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A B A [select] [start]
Old 08-10-2007, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetic_folly View Post
You're swell.
youre not so bad yourself
Old 08-11-2007, 09:13 PM
My iPhone is a Part of Me

Solid

Old 08-15-2007, 09:32 PM
What's Jailbreak?

Hi when I jailbreak I keep getting "You're going to have to learn to hold it longer than that, buddy!" I had jailbreak before the update, is there a step i am missing? Thank you for your help
Old 08-16-2007, 07:06 PM
What's Jailbreak?

I downloaded the fast email check but where is the link to tell us where to put it to work on my iphone
Old 08-17-2007, 07:26 PM
My iPhone is a Part of Me

Hope you dont mind but i added another guide on ipb

Old 08-18-2007, 06:22 PM

np the more the merrier!
Old 09-09-2007, 11:22 PM
What's Jailbreak?

I followed the Modding iPhone for Windows 101 and 102 to get ringtones on there, and they show up under sounds on my phone, but there is no sound when I click them. Anybody know what's up?
Old 09-10-2007, 12:45 AM

well first off, use iringtoner, secondly play them on your computer first, as mp3's and see if theres sound, if there is, then i dont see why they wouldnt play on your iphone, you can also drag them into your itunes and sync them, and see if they play, it sounds like an audacity problem, i would check them on your computer first.
Old 09-10-2007, 11:00 AM
Green Apple

if i change my background etc.. will the calander icon still update and change? or will it say at "tuesday" "9"?
Old 09-11-2007, 12:12 AM

the calendar will work fine using summerboards background
Old 09-11-2007, 10:57 AM
iPhone? More like MyPhone

The ibrickr app hangs for me when Im trying to free my phone, any advice? I click "free my phone", and then it says processing or something to that effect, and thats as far as it gets. Ive been able to upload and use the ringtone part of it, and I also turned off ituneshelper. In the mod it says something about ituneshelper.dll? Could this be the problem?
Old 09-11-2007, 09:45 PM

if you jailbreaked your phone before, you may want to try to use jailbreak.exe to do it again, instead of ibrickr
Old 09-19-2007, 02:53 AM
iPhone? More like MyPhone

Why dont I have the phonemdgr folder... am I just supposed to be creating it? I freed my phone with Ibrickr.

ModMyiFone.com | iPhone forums, iPhone hacks, iPhone unlock > Computer Modding Software > Windows Specific Modding Discussion