HomeStoreForumsWikiiPhone Native AppsiPhone AppsiPhone Apps modmyifone Downloadsmodmyifone Links

Go Back   ModMyiFone.com | iPhone forums, iPhone hacks, iPhone unlock > IPHONE > Other Carriers (Not ATT or T-Mobile)
Register FAQ Members List READ THIS Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Other Carriers (Not ATT or T-Mobile) Discuss questions about your non-ATT / T-Mobile carrier here.

iPhone Optimized MMi | Browser Optimized MMi

Get more out of ModMyiFone by joining our free community. By registering you get privileges to download files from our downloads section and you may also post your questions in our forums! It's fast, free, and easy!

Opportunities at MMi | 1.1.4 Unlock|Jailbreak OS X / Win

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2008, 05:24 PM
iPhone? More like MyPhone

Device + Firmware: iPhone 1.1.4 Jailbroken + Unlocked
Operating System: Windows Xp SP2
Send a message via AIM to iChopPryde Send a message via MSN to iChopPryde Send a message via Yahoo to iChopPryde

I wish here in Canada there was a company that was totally focused on the edge network and you could sign up to them for whatever the price 10-15 a month for unlimited data internet to use on your phone, it would work too since all you got to do is setup your internet settings to that company.
Digg StumbleUpon Delicious Reddit Newsvine Google Yahoo Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 07:09 PM
What's Jailbreak?

Device + Firmware: iPod Touch + iPhone 1.1.4
Operating System: Mac OS X Leopard + Windows Vista Home Premium

Greetings,

I'm not sure how many of you will do this, but i suggest everyone who is strongly interested in affordable/acceptable data plans in canada send in a suggestion email to either Fido or Rogers (or both).

Contact Fido Here

Contact Rogers Here

I have already done it, and am just passing the torch on to you guys. If we whine enough, maybe we'll get results.

-E
Old 03-12-2008, 08:54 PM
What's Jailbreak?

Device + Firmware: 1.1.4=ziphoneeeeeeee
Operating System: windows

ok so whats the difference between EDGE and WAP (sorry I'm a teenager who has no idea about this crap LOL)
Old 03-13-2008, 12:31 AM
What's Jailbreak?

Device + Firmware: i phone 1.1.4
Operating System: mac
i phone with Egyptian carrier

i really need help on that ...

i bought an i phone in the USA last couple a days and i unlocked it though ziphone ... i live in Egypt and i am here for a visit, i have an Egyptian sim card that i inserted into the phone and it worked, but just as a phone.

i cant access Maps, Stocks, weather and you tube. can anyone help me to make these things work. I'm staying for just 3 more weeks and i wanna use the maps, coz i get lost around here a lot and the google earth with directions and stuff doesn't work in Egypt.

i have rooming on my Egyptian line and i can use the phone to dail and recieve calls. i think its the problem with the WAP service, like i have to call my service provider in Egypt and ask them to activate it on my new phone or send me the setting via SMS.

but if this is the case then the problem is just bigger, coz they dont have the setting for the iphone since it is only sold in the USA, they will have to ask me to go to one of there stores in Egypt ... and this means that the iphone functions are just useless for me.

so if anyone can help me to set my WAP (if that is the problem) i will be grateful, by the way my service provider is called MOBINIL in Egypt.
Old 03-13-2008, 05:37 AM
Green Apple

Device + Firmware: iPhone 1.1.4, City Fido Unlimited
Operating System: Windows XP Pro

ephonee:

EDGE: The network that iPhone receives data on. (slow in Canada, sometimes only as fast as dial up)

3G: The network that iPhone SHOULD receive data on but doesn't. (Rogers and Fido started offering 3G a while back... It's a LOT faster)

DATA: Anything you do you on your iPhone will be considered data usage. E-mail, google maps, even Safari. This is what they charge you an arm and a leg for here in Canada.

WAP: Refers to a number of websites that can be accessed through your mobile phone (only rogers and fido approved handsets) It's that little crappy browser that almost every cell phone has but nobody uses. You can use it to check the weather, and a few other things, but it really sucks. You cannot use WAP on smartphones. smartphones require data.

BTW: The "unlimited" surfing options now offered by Rogers and Fido are WAP only. Can't use iPhone...
Old 03-13-2008, 02:57 PM
What's Jailbreak?

Device + Firmware: i phone 1.1.4
Operating System: mac

ok i was on the phone last night with my service provider and they said go to setting>general>Network>EDGE and in the APN type mobinilweb and it should work .... i did that and when i click on MAPS, You tube, or Even safari i get a message sayin "couldnt activate EDGE"

and my service provider said "ahhhh ... we cant do snything for u, u have to bring us the phone"

so anyone has an answer to that !!!
Old 03-13-2008, 03:59 PM

Device + Firmware: iPhone 1.1.4 - unlocked
Operating System: Mac OSX

Quote:
Originally Posted by The pharaoh View Post
ok i was on the phone last night with my service provider and they said go to setting>general>Network>EDGE and in the APN type mobinilweb and it should work .... i did that and when i click on MAPS, You tube, or Even safari i get a message sayin "couldnt activate EDGE"

and my service provider said "ahhhh ... we cant do snything for u, u have to bring us the phone"

so anyone has an answer to that !!!
Who is your provider? For Rogers its:

APN: internet.com
User: wapuser1
Pass: wap

Quote:
Originally Posted by ephonee View Post
ok so whats the difference between EDGE and WAP (sorry I'm a teenager who has no idea about this crap LOL)
Actually:

WAP (Wireless Application Protocol) is used as the standard transmission protocol for all wireless devices to access the Internet through GPRS; including Smartphones and PDAs.

EDGE (Enhanced Data for GSM Evolution) is a new protocol which allows faster transmissions using the existing GSM (GPRS) infrastructure.

Last edited by Eurisko : 03-13-2008 at 03:59 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eurisko For This Useful Post:
BrianT (03-19-2008), The pharaoh (03-22-2008)
Old 03-13-2008, 04:28 PM

Device + Firmware: 1.1.3 unlocked on Rogers
Operating System: Vista

Just throwing my 2cents worth in.

Rogers is my provider and I have the 500MB data plan. I come NOWHERE near touching that in a month and I use my iPhone daily on EDGE for business (emails, web browsing, etc.)

It is always nice to have anything UNLIMITED, but how many people are going to need that?

Last month for instance was a slow month for me, and I used 50MB +/- of data. Slow for me may be ALOT for an average, non-business user, so I dont know.

Unlimited is nice indeed, but is it necessary? Not at the moment I dont think.
Old 03-15-2008, 01:50 PM

Send a message via AIM to iChopPryde Send a message via MSN to iChopPryde Send a message via Yahoo to iChopPryde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperextension View Post
Just throwing my 2cents worth in.

Rogers is my provider and I have the 500MB data plan. I come NOWHERE near touching that in a month and I use my iPhone daily on EDGE for business (emails, web browsing, etc.)

It is always nice to have anything UNLIMITED, but how many people are going to need that?

Last month for instance was a slow month for me, and I used 50MB +/- of data. Slow for me may be ALOT for an average, non-business user, so I dont know.

Unlimited is nice indeed, but is it necessary? Not at the moment I dont think.
Just because you dont need more then 500 doesnt mean the rest of us dont, I used 500 easily in a month watch a bunch of youtube videos, using your map app and surfing the net and checking emails adds up quickily the more important thing about unlimted is not having to worry about going over cause going over would cost huge amounts of money that I dont want to pay for horrible data plans in canada.

Also the 500mb plan is exspensive as hell I am a student I cant afford 65 a month for JUST a data plan I need the phone on top of that so your easily looking at over 100 a month thats ridiculous!
Old 03-15-2008, 02:58 PM
What's Jailbreak?

Device + Firmware: iPod Touch + iPhone 1.1.4
Operating System: Mac OS X Leopard + Windows Vista Home Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by iChopPryde View Post
I am a student I cant afford 65 a month for JUST a data plan I need the phone on top of that so your easily looking at over 100 a month thats ridiculous!
I feel your pain D:
Old 03-15-2008, 07:10 PM
What's Jailbreak?

Device + Firmware: iPhone 1.1.4 Ziphoned
Operating System: Win XP

Just to be sure about something... I'm with Rogers and I have a 5Mb/month for my Treo 680... I've just bought an iPhone on ebay today... Does it mean I actually have to call Rogers and let them know ?

Cause, I really don't use data that much... and with wifi, I won't need much more than 5Mb
Old 03-16-2008, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight12 View Post
Just to be sure about something... I'm with Rogers and I have a 5Mb/month for my Treo 680... I've just bought an iPhone on ebay today... Does it mean I actually have to call Rogers and let them know ?

Cause, I really don't use data that much... and with wifi, I won't need much more than 5Mb
no rogers doesnt need to know you got an iphone but watch out on an iphone 5mb is absolutely nothing you can maybe check out like 5 webpages thats it for the month if i were you i wouldnt even attempt it just turn edge off with services or bosstools app.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eekz View Post
I feel your pain D:
ya man we should protest outside of rogers or something im sure if a few hundred of us got together and demanded lower data plans they would have to do something cause simply its not fair the rest of the world has affordable data plans and we are stuck with wayyyyyyyyyyy over priced data plans!

Last edited by iChopPryde : 03-16-2008 at 05:32 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
The Following User Says Thank You to iChopPryde For This Useful Post:
knight12 (03-16-2008)
Old 03-16-2008, 08:55 AM
What's Jailbreak?

Device + Firmware: iPhone 1.1.4 Ziphoned
Operating System: Win XP

Thanks iChopPryde ! I'll do exactly that... Install Services and turn Edge off till I see what Rogers will present us on March 25... I'll use Wifi ... ;o)
Old 03-17-2008, 02:53 PM

Device + Firmware: 1.1.3 unlocked on Rogers
Operating System: Vista

Well T-Mobile just got the green light and they are expected to start in Canada in 2009. A long wait, but an option when they get here. Hopefully they drive down the costs, but in Ireland, they carry the iPhone WITHOUT unlimited data, so it appears Apple has bent to this request of the carriers a bit.
Old 03-18-2008, 11:08 AM

Device + Firmware: iPhone 1.1.3 Jailbroken/AnySim (1.1.1 BL3.9 OTB)
Operating System: Windows XP...hopefully OSX Leopard soon....

I don't know if this is relevant since you are all talking about the unliminted plan but I recently signed up for Fido's new $18 bundle:

The $18 Value Pack includes the new 12 MB Surfing option -- that's up to 3,000 mobile Internet page views per
month (based on an approximate page size of 4 KB). Also included are the long standing favorites, such as Call
Display, Enhanced Voice Messaging, Name Display, Who Called, 2,500 sent instant messages and 2,500 sent text
messages.
Subscribe to a Value Pack now and get your FIRST MONTH FREE! And if you subscribe before February 4, 2008,
get 4 months of unlimited surfing.

Granted 12MB is nothing on the iPhone but it you use WiFi a lot of use your phone for mainly email and some youtubing its not so bad. (I don't go near installer until I have WiFi!)

The reason I mentioned it was because there is no restriction for the iphone since it's just the EDGE network data plans (I don't know if the unlimited plan has different restrictions). I have been using my free 4 months subscription and when I signed up they never asked me what phone I was using on verified my IMEI number. Everything is working fine.

That has been my experience. I hope it helps some people in making their data plan decisions.

ModMyiFone.com | iPhone forums, iPhone hacks, iPhone unlock > IPHONE > Other Carriers (Not ATT or T-Mobile)