HomeStoreForumsWikiiPhone Native AppsiPhone Apps modmyifone Downloadsmodmyifone Links

Cell Phone Reception

Go Back   iPhone Forums at ModMyiFone.com - iPhone | iPod Touch, news, apps, themes. > 3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch > iPhone / iPod Touch SDK | Development Discussion
Register FAQ Members List READ THIS Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

iPhone / iPod Touch SDK | Development Discussion SDK questions. A place for iPhone developers to post code snippets, discuss creating iPhone apps, and any other iPhone developing.

MMi Super Contest | 30 winners! Over $1500 in Prizes! Enter Today!

Discuss AppStore Apps! | MMi Cydia Repo Download Stats

Get more out of ModMyiFone by joining our free community. By registering you get privileges to download files from our downloads section and you may also post your questions in our forums! It's fast, free, and easy!

2.1 Unlock|Jailbreak OS X | iPhone 3G Detailed Review w/Pics! | Developers - Port Your Apps to 2.0

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2008, 02:32 PM
What's Jailbreak?

Modify plist files using an SDK app?

Well, it's been a long time since I've even attempted to code anything, so I'm going to ask for a little (or a lot of) help:

I want to write an app that goes and modifies the preferences.plist file on my company's iPhones. All I need this app to do it to open that file and add a couple lines into the appropriate spot.

Specifically I'm trying to add a proxy server setting under the settings for our custom APN. Obviously I can add the code in manually to a jailbroken phone, but I'd like a way to do it without jailbreaking all the phones around.

Can anyone help me out?
Digg StumbleUpon Delicious Reddit Newsvine Google Yahoo Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 04:29 PM
Developer

Device + Firmware: iPhone 1.1.3
Operating System: Windows XP / OS X

I don't think it will be possible without jailbreak since a standard SDK application runs in a sandbox with restricted filesystem access.

What about using Apple's corporate configuration tools for the iPhone?
Old 08-21-2008, 08:23 AM
What's Jailbreak?

Yeah that would be ideal, however even the enterprise config tool doesn't allow for a proxy server to be setup on any cellular data connections. It's a glaring omission, IMHO - We can't be the only company with a setup like this.
Old 08-22-2008, 05:30 PM
Developer

Device + Firmware: iPhone 1.1.3
Operating System: Windows XP / OS X

If you can tell me where the file is located, I could see if it is accessible via the iTunesMobileDevice API with a USB connection without jailbreak.
Old 09-05-2008, 05:05 AM
What's Jailbreak?

How does one change the proxy server for iphone 3G on ATT?

@NetMage
the file that possibly needs modification is the the preferences.plist file in /private/var/preferences/Systemconfiguration

@Jeweibe
You said "Specifically I'm trying to add a proxy server setting under the settings for our custom APN. Obviously I can add the code in manually to a jailbroken phone, but I'd like a way to do it without jailbreaking all the phones around."

I want to do the same, however assuming it is a Jailbroken phone and one has access to the all the files and can change any file on the iphone. Which file would need to be changed and how?

iPhone Forums at ModMyiFone.com - iPhone | iPod Touch, news, apps, themes. > 3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch > iPhone / iPod Touch SDK | Development Discussion