HomeStoreForumsWikiiPhone Native AppsiPhone Apps modmyifone Downloadsmodmyifone Links

Cell Phone Reception

Go Back   iPhone Forums at ModMyiFone.com - iPhone | iPod Touch, news, apps, themes. > ModMyiFone > News
Register FAQ Members List READ THIS Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

News What's the latest news? Check it out here. Grab Our News RSS Feed

Discuss AppStore Apps! | MMi Cydia Repo Download Stats

Get more out of ModMyiFone by joining our free community. By registering you get privileges to download files from our downloads section and you may also post your questions in our forums! It's fast, free, and easy!

2.0 Unlock|Jailbreak OS X / Windows | iPhone 3G Detailed Review w/Pics! | Developers - Port Your Apps to 2.0

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Yesterday, 12:25 AM
Owner / Founder - ModMyiFone

Device + Firmware: iPhone | 1.1.2 | 1.1.3
Operating System: OS X | XP | Sabayon
Thanked 13,536 Times in 297 Posts
Send a message via AIM to cash7c3 Send a message via MSN to cash7c3 Send a message via Yahoo to cash7c3
Apple Ad Banned for Misleading Viewers

There is a lot of heat concerning the iPhone right now most recently a lawsuit being filed against Apple for false advertising and countless questions about reception issues.

The latest installment problems comes from an Apple ad shown in the U.K. At least two people complained to the ASA (UK's Advertising Standards Authority) that the iPhone commercial was misleading because of the wording "all the parts of the internet are on the iPhone."

The complaint on misleading advertising is centered on Java and Flash which are not supported on the iPhone but are very commonly used on webpages across the internet. When contacted by the ASA Apple's response was that the iPhone supports open web standards and they can't be expected to support third party plug-ins and technology. Apple went on further to claim that "all parts of the internet" was only in reference to internet availability and not to the functionality of individual web pages.

Unfortunately for Apple, the ASA disagrees and the ad has been pulled from UK television. The ASA decided that the ad implies "users would be able to access all websites and see them in their entirety," and that "the ad gave a misleading impression of the internet capabilities of the iPhone."

[via pocket-link and engadget]
Digg StumbleUpon Delicious Reddit Newsvine Google Yahoo Thanks Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:29 AM
iPhone? More like MyPhone

Device + Firmware: IPhone 3G White 16GB And IPhone 8GB
Operating System: IMac And Macbook

Wow.... what a mess Apple's in right now.... I wonder if all of this stuff about the iphone will quite down when things gets fixed.... and now this!
Old Yesterday, 12:36 AM
What's Jailbreak?

Device + Firmware: 16GB White 3G 1.2 (2.0.1.) WINPWND
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

now they just need to fix their ad about twice the speed half the price since half the price is bull$@#* since my bill went up 20 bucks a month. But I do love the phone just hate the false ads!
Old Yesterday, 12:47 AM
What's Jailbreak?

hell yeah stupid apple
The Following User Says Thank You to kennyleeme For This Useful Post:
Old Yesterday, 12:48 AM
What's Jailbreak?

Device + Firmware: ipone
Operating System: pc

well java and flash are big parts of the Internet..... How are we suppose to see the moving ads without it?!?! LOL jk
Old Yesterday, 01:40 AM
What's Jailbreak?

I believe lying is the word you are looking for, not misleading.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lsixecho For This Useful Post:
Nefarious (Today), tanaoeurn1987 (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 01:59 AM

I actually support Apple this time. People get jealous at something when it made success, so they try to find ways to sue all the nice companies that makes nice product. Guess what, all they want is money. Seriously, if they want to sue for money, instead go and try earn by themselves. Stop acting dumb idiot!
Old Yesterday, 02:39 AM
What's Jailbreak?

Device + Firmware: ipone
Operating System: pc

@powa understand what your talking about but from what I read this isn't about money more in the lines they just want the adds taken down.
Old Yesterday, 04:14 AM
What's Jailbreak?

Device + Firmware: iPod Touch 2.0 (5A347)
Operating System: Windows Vista Home Premium

Well... I find this a bit more misleading. You can't place the icons wherever you want on the screen, although the iTunes icon is placed to the right all through the commercial.
Old Yesterday, 06:06 AM

Device + Firmware: iPhone v1.1.4/3.9 BL
Operating System: Vista Ultimate

apple hit the hammer on its own foot and now slowly feeling the pain of it...way to go APPLE.
Old Yesterday, 06:11 AM

Device + Firmware: iPhone 1.1.4
Operating System: Vista

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimaggio View Post

Well... I find this a bit more misleading. You can't place the icons wherever you want on the screen, although the iTunes icon is placed to the right all through the commercial.
This was in the later firmwares. When the iTunes store was released, it was as shown. Pretty clever too, having the icon being an arrow pointing to the iPod app, since that's what the store did.
Old Yesterday, 06:20 AM

Device + Firmware: 3G iPhone, FW2.01
Operating System: OSX Leopard
Send a message via Yahoo to Eurisko

Apple can't be held responsible for peoples misinterpretation and inferred meaning in Ads. Heck, Ads agencies count on this to sell their product. Why isn't there a class action law suit against all companies who don't live up to their promises. Apple is an easy target because its on top; two words friends... jealousy and greed.
kainisable (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 06:38 AM
Green Apple

How about those mis-leading commercials over here in the US? The one were the 3G iPhone is blazing thru websites and apps.

Appearing to be as fast (or faster) than DSL or Cable speeds? Am I the only one who have seen them??? Haven't heard anybody else mention.
Old Yesterday, 07:22 AM
Green Apple

Device + Firmware: iPhone 2.0.2 QuickPwned
Operating System: XP and Vista

3G's fast here in England anyway,I really like the Mac vs. PC adverts but the iPod and iPhone adverts suck.

Apple, why don't you put flash in????????????????????????????????????? Or give people the option to install it seeing as it's not your iPhone, it's MINE!!!!!!!
Old Yesterday, 07:26 AM
iPhoneaholic

They are misleading period! They have from day one... The phone does NOT give you the full internet... Com'on How may people have gotten "Safari can not load this page" or the pretty little blue Lego block where a picture was supposed to be.... Even tho they never say it is the FULL internet they most certainly do imply it and even claimed the “whole internet”... Hmm I can’t recall IE, Firefox, etc. ever telling me it is unable to download a page simply because it doesn’t support it.. The first gen phone and firmware it may of been understandable... But... Geezus!
3G now and 2.0.2 firmware and still no full support of what 90% of the WWW is using in page construction........Point being: If you are going to make a product to surf the web, make one that will. I was getting almost this much coverage of a web page on my Motorola SLVR three years ago..............

Way to go ASA !
Sorry, but Apples excuse is LAME! Com’on this is like saying “ Well I know that vehicle I sold you won’t go down most streets, it will just stall, because it will only work on certain ones” “After all we can’t liable to let it take you where ever you want to go - But Hey! At least you know the streets are there”

Last edited by E-Dragon; Yesterday at 07:42 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to E-Dragon For This Useful Post:
bilutza (Yesterday), ghandioncesaid (Yesterday), tahazahoor@hotmail.com (Yesterday)

iPhone Forums at ModMyiFone.com - iPhone | iPod Touch, news, apps, themes. > ModMyiFone > News