HomeStoreForumsWikiiPhone Native AppsiPhone Apps modmyifone Downloadsmodmyifone Links

Cell Phone Reception

Go Back   iPhone Forums at ModMyiFone.com - iPhone | iPod Touch, news, apps, themes. > ModMyiFone > News
Register FAQ Members List READ THIS Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

News What's the latest news? Check it out here. Grab Our News RSS Feed

Discuss AppStore Apps! | MMi Cydia Repo Download Stats

Get more out of ModMyiFone by joining our free community. By registering you get privileges to download files from our downloads section and you may also post your questions in our forums! It's fast, free, and easy!

2.0 Unlock|Jailbreak OS X / Windows | iPhone 3G Detailed Review w/Pics! | Developers - Port Your Apps to 2.0

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2008, 03:07 AM
MMi Writer

Device + Firmware: iPhone 2.0
Operating System: Windows XP
R.I.P OpenClip!

Remember the OpenClip Copy and Paste solution we debut last week. If not, then it is an inter application copy and paste solution for iPhone that does copy and paste without voiding any SDK rules.

The basis of the app was to maintain a common clipboard in the sandbox of main app and when a paste command was issued, the running app would peep into the sandbox of the host app ad paste the most recent clip.

But, according to a recent post at the OpenClip main blog, the new beta of 2.1 breaks this solution as it doesn't allow any app to look outside their sandbox. That means the new beta completely opposes the OpenClip solution!

But, this beta was seeded even before the OpenClip debuted. So, was this purposely done? Nope, Apple simply did this so that no app becomes a privacy or security threat to the owner.

Now, the problem is that the solution still works partially i.e. copy and paste in the same app but that's no big deal as this was developed by Proximi in the form of Magic Pad even before White made OpenClip.

Now the main question is whether the solution is completely dead?

Nope, according to White the solution can still be brought to life but it will be not as efficient as the previous one. Here's what he has to say:

Quote:
However, even though apple is killing the concept behind the current OpenClip, that doesn't mean we can't change the concept. A shared clipboard could be stored in an Address Book card or even on a remote server. Those solutions aren't as good as the OpenClip implementation, but they aren't bad.

The address book version, would have to write a very weird looking address book card to your address book. It would probably get synced and it would show up on your Mac or PC or even MobileMe. I'm not too cracked up about that, but I would be interested to know what users think of that (email me). The network solution is impossible for Apple to shut down, but it is no easy task. Just ask Apple's MobileMe department.
So, we'll soon see what happens in the near future...

[OpenClip Blog]
Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by sayam; 08-23-2008 at 03:21 AM.
Digg StumbleUpon Delicious Reddit Newsvine Google Yahoo Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 03:08 AM
MMi Writer

Device + Firmware: iphone, pwned 3g
Operating System: leopard
Send a message via AIM to ajustcircle

Sure didn't take long for something to go wrong with OpenClip. 'Tis really depressing 'cause I thought OpenClip appeared to be one of the best 3rd part innovations yet.
Old 08-25-2008, 03:08 AM
MMi Writer

Device + Firmware: iPhone 2.0
Operating System: Windows XP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajustcircle View Post
Sure didn't take long for something to go wrong with OpenClip. 'Tis really depressing 'cause I thought OpenClip appeared to be one of the best 3rd part innovations yet.
I am sad too as I thought it to be a great solution...
Old 08-25-2008, 03:34 AM
What's Jailbreak?

i think the fact that all the programs have access to all my contacts is a far bigger security issue than them being able to access each other...

i think apple leaves that option for itself. im sure they are developing something similar and want to sell it
Old 08-25-2008, 03:36 AM
My iPhone is a Part of Me

Device + Firmware: 8GB iPhone - 2.0
Operating System: OS X 10.5.4 | Win XP
Send a message via MSN to MattMac Send a message via Yahoo to MattMac

Oh well. Can it not be somehow be implemented into the Keyboard like the app that added the feature where you could handwritten letters into the device (forgot what its called, sorry :S)

I know the selecting part would be hard to create, but I'm sure with ALOT of work, why could it not be done?
Also, it would be only avalible to jailbroken phones...

I am no Dev, so I'm sure its probably been explored, but just adding my opinion...

Thanks button there  Search at the topDonation here xD
Old 08-25-2008, 05:38 AM
Green Apple

Device + Firmware: iPhone 2.0.2 QuickPwned
Operating System: XP and Vista

Apple did say Copy&Paste is on their list but it's not near the top.

So it would be pretty pointless if all 3rd party apps start to support Openclip and then Apple releases it's own C&P.

I need C&P between Email, Notes and Safari and especially SMS. All Apple "widgets", so I'm not really bothered about Openclip but I'd still supprt it.
Old 08-25-2008, 05:47 AM
iPhone? More like MyPhone

Device + Firmware: iphone 16gb 2.0.1 firmware
Operating System: XP (vista is booboo)

oh well, we cant miss something we never had, hopefully apple's solution allows copy and paste between applications (one thing i miss the most from my tmobile wing)
Old 08-25-2008, 07:58 AM
Green Apple

So screw the Appstore and release OpenClip on Cydia for modified firmwares only. Then add OpenClip support to all aspects of the iPhone/iPod. This is the only way it would really be of any real use anyway.
Old 08-25-2008, 08:47 AM
Green Apple

Device + Firmware: 3G 2.0
Operating System: OSX 10.5.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4nic8tor View Post
So screw the Appstore and release OpenClip on Cydia for modified firmwares only. Then add OpenClip support to all aspects of the iPhone/iPod. This is the only way it would really be of any real use anyway.
i second that. i would be happy to pay a reasonable fee to a dev for this.
Old 08-25-2008, 10:15 AM

Device + Firmware: 8GB 2G iPhones Pwnd 2.0.2
Operating System: XP Pro & Vista

Quote:
Originally Posted by fletch33 View Post
i second that. i would be happy to pay a reasonable fee to a dev for this.
Count me in.
Old 08-25-2008, 10:49 AM
Green Apple

me too... lets say 5$...
Old 08-25-2008, 11:24 AM
Green Apple

hurry up htc i think i want a touch Pro
Old 08-25-2008, 04:12 PM
What's Jailbreak?

Device + Firmware: iphone 1st gen 2.0
Operating System: windows

A few years ago in the dish/ cable / satellite market, there were a few individuals who were able to do some heavy coding programs that opened up the boxes; creating a decent living for most of them. The corporations couldn't stop them by law so they hired as many of the coders as they could. In turn the coding was infiltrated, people were arrested, some customers were back charged, and lots of fines were levied to the dismay of the programmers who didn't want to sell out. Now I don't know these folks at Open Clip, so I 'm not accusing them of anything. Just keep in mind that the iPhone is Apples new toy and they would like to update it with new models and new features for the next 50 to 90 years, if that. It would benefit them a whole lot to make a sizable payment to a group of app builders now so that they could profit much much more later. Once again, I am not accusing Open Clip apps builders of doing this, I just want to shed some light on Big Corporations business tactics.

Then again, what the heck do I know!

Last edited by trumpedup_charges; 08-25-2008 at 04:16 PM. Reason: Fools some times have to retrace their retraced steps.
Old 08-25-2008, 07:33 PM

Device + Firmware: iPhone 1.1.4
Operating System: whatever ou call the OS on Mac...

i thought 2.1 was supposed to have copy/paste anyway... ??
Old 08-25-2008, 11:58 PM

Device + Firmware: 8GB 2G iPhones Pwnd 2.0.2
Operating System: XP Pro & Vista

Quote:
Originally Posted by iRoach74 View Post
i thought 2.1 was supposed to have copy/paste anyway... ??
Its on apple's to-do list.

iPhone Forums at ModMyiFone.com - iPhone | iPod Touch, news, apps, themes. > ModMyiFone > News