Thread Back Search
  • User Name
  • Password

Crappy Service? It's YOUR FAULT

• 08-28-2008 | 08:15 PM
  • Garage Battle Posts: 38
  • wait

so if I stay at 2.0.1, I will get better service, because my phone will tell the tower I need more power? AWESOME!!!!

hey lets all switch to 2.0.1 because it makes the towers produce more signal!!!
  • 08-28-2008 | 09:31 PM
  • ♻①☛ Posts: 16
  • So the cells run out of power, but wouldn't that not allow other phones(not iphones 3g) receive the signal either?
  • 08-28-2008 | 10:45 PM
  • sagacious1 Posts: 4
  • The candid truth is just this: Apple and AT&T could teach the whole world lessons in corporate arrogance. Would you put up with car makers if they were as proprietary when you purchased an automobile? I don't think so...
  • 08-28-2008 | 11:07 PM
  • 461am's Avatar 461am Posts: 315
  • Quote de cash7c3
    When a lot of iPhones asked for too much power all at once the cell towers would run out of power, leaving you with no reception.
    This makes absolutely zero sense. Why would this only affect iPhones? Aren't there other 3G devices hooked up to AT&T towers that would also suffer from lack of service due to the iphones apparently power-hungry antics?

edit: someone else pointed this out, just read the post. Point still stands.
  • 08-28-2008 | 11:20 PM
  • mbaharvard Posts: 31
  • Jeez, go back to your moto razr.....

Actually, I just did! I think it lasted about 30 minutes until I realized all my iPhone can do! Yes, we want things to work properly and for the majority of iPhone users, all is well (there are a few million of these things out there) and I know most of us here are more than casual users. We have to understand that cutting edge is sometimes bleeding edge. CRIPE! I went through all of this same rhetoric when I went to the 1st gen Razr. I updated it to Video and I had some problems, but mostly, I liked having features before everyone else. That is why we jailbreak and goof with our phones. NO business can make everyone happy - we are all too diversified!

Last edited by mbaharvard; 08-28-2008 at 11:51 PM.
  • 08-29-2008 | 12:59 AM
  • zoolander369's Avatar zoolander369 Posts: 46
  • Other Things That May Interfere With Your Reception:

-Animals

-Plastics Of All Kinds

-Political Affiliations

-Laughter

-Hats

-Beads

-Human Beings

-UFOs

Did I forget anything?
  • 08-29-2008 | 03:21 AM
  • loujob Posts: 107
  • this sounds like ********. If this was true then my buddies 3G non-iphone phone wouldn't be receiving 5 bars ranging from a few inches to 10s of feet at times. Shinanigans!

Last edited by loujob; 08-29-2008 at 03:24 AM.
  • 08-29-2008 | 07:53 AM
  • eg6motion Posts: 200
  • Quote de tacoda
    It's Apples fault, choosing the worst carrier called ATT.
    if you put it that way, then its their fault for choosing any carrier...since its the phone itself that has problems... tool.
  • 08-29-2008 | 08:06 AM
  • dale1v's Avatar dale1v Posts: 1,498
  • Quote de loujob
    this sounds like ********. If this was true then my buddies 3G non-iphone phone wouldn't be receiving 5 bars ranging from a few inches to 10s of feet at times. Shinanigans!
    lol

Last edited by dale1v; 08-29-2008 at 08:09 AM.
  • 08-29-2008 | 12:52 PM
  • r3velation Posts: 1
  • Quote de zoolander369
    Other Things That May Interfere With Your Reception:

-Animals

-Plastics Of All Kinds

-Political Affiliations

-Laughter

-Hats

-Beads

-Human Beings

-UFOs

Did I forget anything?
    you forgot GLOBAL WARMING lol haha
  • 08-29-2008 | 02:44 PM
  • bhz1's Avatar bhz1 Posts: 679
    This makes absolutely zero sense. Why would this only affect iPhones? Aren't there other 3G devices hooked up to AT&T towers that would also suffer from lack of service due to the iphones apparently power-hungry antics?
    I hate to tell you, but there are people with other 3G phones noticing a degredation of signal in the last month. One of my son's just told me this morning that his V3xx has been going nuts for a month or so now as far as signal. I have seen posts over on the ATT user support forums where folks with TITN's are having 3G signal issues as well. All what you have said here about the need for more 3G towers, too many people sharing the available bandwidth are all contributors. These conditions would only be magnified by a less than optimal antenna.
  • 08-31-2008 | 09:13 AM
  • Ambush Posts: 1
  • I'm in Denver, and updated to 2.0.2 (QuickPwn), and it's still crap on 3G - I've had to turn 3G off just to be able to carry on a conversation for more than 2 minutes - I've done this on all 4 of my 3G phones, and they all have the same problem...

p.s.
    I miss my 2G terribly!!
  • 09-01-2008 | 11:11 AM
  • Rescuer's Avatar Rescuer Posts: 53
  • well, i updated to 2.0.2, and the 3G coverage is still garbage. Only 1 bar in most places, and i'm in the middle of a massive coverage area (east bay area, california)

it did not improve with the new firmware

when i first got the phone, i turned off the 3G in the first week since it would switch back and forth from 3G to edge and would timeout for 20 seconds when doing so. and now, i've got it turned off yet again on the new firmware

i'm wasting $10 more a month for this service, and seeing how i'm in the middle of a huge 3G covered area, i'm getting ripped off.
  • 09-01-2008 | 09:24 PM
  • JCip Posts: 8
  • When we were analog and changed over to digital, there were problems because of a lack of towers. Digital sounds so much clearer but when a signal is weak everything just falls off and you hear nothing. What I want to know is why is 3G sooo great and how does it work? Is this only an enhanced digital signal? If this is so then its that tower thing again. Digital TV has the same problem. If you are too far from the transmitter or certain things (even plaster walls) are in the way then there is problems. I purchased an inexpensive booster (Cell Ranger) that does work when its antenna is outside the house but the iphone must be near the device. I hear that the Zboost 510 (that works on the same principle but costs over $300) is great and covers a 2500 square foot area when activated. This means that if the signal was boosted at the towers or if there were more towers then these call problems might not be as frequent. But that costs.
  • 09-02-2008 | 09:40 AM
  • DaveiPhone Posts: 307
  • I returned my 3Gs (mine & wife's) and went back to the 2Gs due to reception issues. I loved the better speaker and GPS in the 3G, but our reception simply sucked.

I live in a metro area that has full 3G coverage, but in many spots had 0 bars. I might have been willing to live with that if the phone switched smoothly to Edge when it lost 3G, but it dropped calls all the time. In the same spot, with the same SIM, my old RAZR got 3 or 4 bars with no trouble on 3G.
Return to Top