Thread Back Search
  • User Name
  • Password

Huge Secuirty Flaw in firmware 2.0.1 and 2.0.2

• 08-27-2008 | 03:12 PM
  • tanaoeurn1987 Posts: 11
  • now if you aint got no favorites you dont have to worry about anything. and plus the people that steal this iphone from me probably dont know jack **** about it.
  • 08-27-2008 | 03:15 PM
  • LaZARuZ Posts: 144
  • I like it no big deal. Some people like to make it to something bigger then it is. Look at it this way you get to an accedent if it's a car or just taking a walk, you hurt yourself bad and poilce comes to help you have no id on you forgot it or want ever yes we all forget or wallets sometimes. Ok so all you got is your phone poilce can go in and look for I.C.E. Or anyone close to you. That's what I think it's used for.
  • 08-27-2008 | 03:18 PM
  • falcon72 Posts: 15
  • in a way I kind a like it because when my phone is lock I can make a quick call to the people in my favorites
  • 08-27-2008 | 03:24 PM
  • raxxal Posts: 5
  • Quote de A.T
    The person or people who found this out should have kept it to themselves and told Apple.

Now everyone knows it
    Concurrent!
  • 08-27-2008 | 03:39 PM
  • pacmac's Avatar pacmac Posts: 181
  • flaw....? More like FAIL
  • 08-27-2008 | 03:42 PM
  • DarkoNova Posts: 67
  • Quote de Alperovich
    it just seems some ppl are just making this a bigger deal then it really is IMHO
    I agree. I don't see how this could really be a problem unless you always leave your phone lying around in public, or if you let random people use your phone. If your phone gets stolen, the majority of people would probably just try to resell it without even bothering to look at your information. It's not nearly as big of a problem as it's being made out to be.

Matt
  • 08-27-2008 | 03:55 PM
  • dale1v's Avatar dale1v Posts: 1,442
  • I've seen the same response all over the net, and it annoys me: "it's not a big deal"
    It's a big problem. This phone is supposed to be approaching:
    Enterprise-ready.
    that means: Security please.

For Average Joe, having the ability to access contacts and mail through unofficial means may not be a big deal to:
    Average Joe

For an enterprise who send plenty of confidential emails to employees a day, or a businessman with clients contact details on his phone, having the ability to access private data like this is NOT ON.

Of the millions of iPhone users globally, can we all really say (with confidence) that all of them will be Average Joe's and that all of them will be kind, pure and just? Please.

I think some of us need to step out of "everything-is-happy-and-perfect-in-Apple-Land" and start looking at the circumstances and possible consequences of leaving gaps in software that take place in the Real World.

Last edited by dale1v; 08-27-2008 at 04:00 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
  • 08-27-2008 | 03:56 PM
  • Muggz5 Posts: 276
  • Quote de DarkoNova
    I agree. I don't see how this could really be a problem unless you always leave your phone lying around in public, or if you let random people use your phone. If your phone gets stolen, the majority of people would probably just try to resell it without even bothering to look at your information. It's not nearly as big of a problem as it's being made out to be.

Matt
    Yeah I really dont see an issue with this. I dont know Id consider it a security breach either. I guess its really no more of a breach then leaving your wallet on the table and walking away. No one in the right mind would really do this, just as I dont leave this phone on my desk or if it left out its at home, and surely my wife wouldnt steal mine since she has one

Although I think its informative and I did change it from my favorites to just the home screen as suggested. It also reminded me to turn off ipod controls, because nothing is more aggrevating than having the ipod run all day in my pocket because I accidentally somehow double tapped the home key. (which ive done a few times and drained my battery )

Was this an attempt at a "back door" just in case someone forgot their password and they dont have to reload the firmware? ( I doubt it but it comes to mind) Or do they have ethical hacks that can get through that?

Also is this extremely important person with these highly classified contacts addresses etc etc so easily available that someone who wants this info can get close enough to physically steal it? Why not instead of going through that much trouble just hack into their computer where they sync and steal it from their address book iTunes syncs to. Or just hack into their email account that they use for this information. You would certainly know about itunes if you knew about favorites and keys to get to those favorites.
    From my experience anything dealing with sensitive information was communicated using a VPN, with a keychain that shows a code changing every 8 minutes.

So again, this is why I say "its not that big of a deal"

Last edited by Muggz5; 08-27-2008 at 04:33 PM.
  • 08-27-2008 | 04:26 PM
  • bredfan Posts: 2
  • I can't imagine many people who are in a position where confidentiality and security are of the utmost importance, actually using an iPhone as their primary means of information transfer.

That being said. A security risk is still present and must be remedied. Regardless of the number of people who may perceive it as such.
  • 08-27-2008 | 04:31 PM
  • cursive08 Posts: 54
  • Do you remember the sunburst dock made by nate true? lol. back in 1.1.* you click on emergancy call and the sunburst appears to allow access to your whole phone lol. I dont know but it kinda reminds me of this.
  • 08-27-2008 | 04:38 PM
  • qumahlin Posts: 9
  • Quote de dale1v
    I've seen the same response all over the net, and it annoys me: "it's not a big deal"
    It's a big problem. This phone is supposed to be approaching:
    Enterprise-ready.
    that means: Security please.

For Average Joe, having the ability to access contacts and mail through unofficial means may not be a big deal to:
    Average Joe

For an enterprise who send plenty of confidential emails to employees a day, or a businessman with clients contact details on his phone, having the ability to access private data like this is NOT ON.

Of the millions of iPhone users globally, can we all really say (with confidence) that all of them will be Average Joe's and that all of them will be kind, pure and just? Please.

I think some of us need to step out of "everything-is-happy-and-perfect-in-Apple-Land" and start looking at the circumstances and possible consequences of leaving gaps in software that take place in the Real World.
    Pffft. Your argument would be great if Blackberry's were much different. If someone is trying to steal your phone to get to your corporate data a quick search of the internet will introduce them to many many programs to accomplish the task.

This pretty much just saves the theif from having to connect the phone to a PC.

Moral of the story if you are a ENTERPRISE USER concerned about SECURITY then just maybe YOU should be careful with what YOU do with COMPANY PROPERTY.
  • 08-27-2008 | 04:41 PM
  • Emir S.'s Avatar Emir S. Posts: 198
  • Quote de Muggz5
    Yeah I really dont see an issue with this. I dont know Id consider it a security breach either. I guess its really no more of a breach then leaving your wallet on the table and walking away. No one in the right mind would really do this, just as I dont leave this phone on my desk or if it left out its at home, and surely my wife wouldnt steal mine since she has one

Although I think its informative and I did change it from my favorites to just the home screen as suggested. It also reminded me to turn off ipod controls, because nothing is more aggrevating than having the ipod run all day in my pocket because I accidentally somehow double tapped the home key. (which ive done a few times and drained my battery )

Was this an attempt at a "back door" just in case someone forgot their password and they dont have to reload the firmware? ( I doubt it but it comes to mind) Or do they have ethical hacks that can get through that?

Also is this extremely important person with these highly classified contacts addresses etc etc so easily available that someone who wants this info can get close enough to physically steal it? Why not instead of going through that much trouble just hack into their computer where they sync and steal it from their address book iTunes syncs to. You would certainly know about itunes if you knew about favorites and keys to get to those favorites.

So again, this is why I say "its not that big of a deal"
    All enterprise employees (the BB users that Apple would like to convert over) use exchange or another form of push to device not only for convenience but security as well.

Security is key in the business world. With the insane amount of espionage and foul play, one can never be too secure.
    Now Apple has incorporated remote deletion of sensitive data on the iPhone because it attempts to play into the business world where BB dominates (for very good reasons).

Problem is that Apple's lack of experience in that field disallows them to think ahead in terms of security and base features.

Fact is, iPhone's "Business+Security" gimmick was tacked on as an afterthought as it's more then obvious the device wasn't developed with enterprise in mind.

Luckily, most people in need of enterprise features are smart enough not to get an iPhone.

I still use my work BB and my Moto Q for all things work.
    iPhone to me is exactly what it was intended to be; iPod with a built-in phone....and as that, I really like it.

@ qumahlin
    Cracking BB's security takes effort, a laptop and a cable. It also requires software.
    It also takes time. Enough time for the owner of the device to give his IT tech a call to whipe his/her phone remotely.
    That MUCH better then doing it from the phones own lockscreen!

Everything can be cirmumvented but it seems that the iPhone is the easiest of them all.

Last edited by Emir S.; 08-27-2008 at 04:48 PM.
  • 08-27-2008 | 04:56 PM
  • dale1v's Avatar dale1v Posts: 1,442
  • Quote de qumahlin
    Pffft. Your argument would be great if Blackberry's were much different. If someone is trying to steal your phone to get to your corporate data a quick search of the internet will introduce them to many many programs to accomplish the task.

This pretty much just saves the theif from having to connect the phone to a PC.
    Quote de Emir S.
    Cracking BB's security takes effort, a laptop and a cable. It also requires software.
    It also takes time. Enough time for the owner of the device to give his IT tech a call to whipe his/her phone remotely.
    That MUCH better then doing it from the phones own lockscreen!
    Was thinking that same thing
  • 08-27-2008 | 04:58 PM
  • Muggz5 Posts: 276
  • @ Emir:

That is an extremely valid point and for the sake of not making my post longer I left it out. I guess when they have their weekly/daily marketing meeting it obviously was an idea put out on the table to "compete with BB and corporate needs"
    Thats why they (apple) are always going to play catchup in this area, when going against BB which was initially and specifically designed for the Corporate World first then wanted to expand their sales by going after the casual non business user. Same for Apple just in reverse.
    Which is why it took them 5 firmware updates before they made Exchange Server possible on the iPhone. The people however who need Mobile MSN and Exchange Server are still buying Palm and BB phones and not iPhone. I guess if they want some real insight on Business Enterprise and Security, hire a couple fellas from Cisco or like companies...

Bottom line I upgraded to the iPhone from an iPod Nano and a Blackberry Pearl. Its (iPhone) entertainment and now becoming a side job for fun and a little extra cash. along with kick *** features while not on my computer at home or work. I love this mini laptop we call a phone but security isnt quite what you think about when an ipod excuse me iphone..

Last edited by Muggz5; 08-27-2008 at 05:26 PM.
Return to Top