Thread Back Search
  • User Name
  • Password

Installer 4.0b6 and New Updated Repository Code

• 08-24-2008 | 12:55 PM
  • davethegreat Posts: 7
  • Really, I am starting to feel like I am just going crazy or something . . . but I can't figure out how to install Installer.

I have googled it, I have searched this site, I have installed every Cydia repo I can find and searched the ENTIRE list of available packages in Cydia (which took an hour), and nothing.

Googling gives me dozens of "hey, it's released! Woohoo!" stuff, but no actual, ya know, "this is where you can get it" stuff.

These forums are packed with people who have gotten it and commented on it, but again, no actual information on HOW to get it.

It's like being the only teenager at a party where everyone is smoking pot. Everyone else has it, they all seem to have common knowledge of where to get it, they all talk about what it's like, but you just don't know any dealers. ARGH!

So, I never thought I would need it dumbed down, but . . . can somebody dumb it down for me and explain, using small words, plenty of pictures and various hand gestures, how and where I can get the current version of installer? I can't just upgrade, because I don't have the original version anymore since I went to the 2.0 firmware.
  • 08-24-2008 | 03:28 PM
  • davethegreat Posts: 7
  • Ah, no way to add it on without re-pwning?
  • 08-24-2008 | 03:43 PM
  • upstateiphone Posts: 14
  • There are some links out there you can try to download, but that would be the old beta version I would imagine you could try to update their just add the rip source.
  • 08-24-2008 | 03:48 PM
  • rkyle80 Posts: 12
  • Ridiculous! Why not just throw the update on the installer? I got too much stuff on my phone to sit here and pwn it again. Anyway to get this on the installer at all?
  • 08-24-2008 | 05:05 PM
  • Nick.K's Avatar Nick.K Posts: 336
  • the update is on installer it is located in the Updated Section on installer. No need to add any new sources.
  • 08-24-2008 | 05:06 PM
  • maaangler Posts: 1
  • Here is a couple screen shots. Im in the process of updating all the available sources. Still buggy... bad shot. Fine after reboot. Open SSH, Open SSL and UNIX Sub are up there.
    Attached Thumbnails

• 08-24-2008 | 05:12 PM
  • Nick.K's Avatar Nick.K Posts: 336
  • Please also note that this is Beta. It will be buggy and thats why programs have betas. To get the bugs out to help make a better product. If you dont like it, no one is forcing anyone to use it.
  • 08-24-2008 | 05:49 PM
  • toothy17 Posts: 7
  • Quote de davethegreat
    Really, I am starting to feel like I am just going crazy or something . . . but I can't figure out how to install Installer.

I have googled it, I have searched this site, I have installed every Cydia repo I can find and searched the ENTIRE list of available packages in Cydia (which took an hour), and nothing.

Googling gives me dozens of "hey, it's released! Woohoo!" stuff, but no actual, ya know, "this is where you can get it" stuff.

These forums are packed with people who have gotten it and commented on it, but again, no actual information on HOW to get it.

It's like being the only teenager at a party where everyone is smoking pot. Everyone else has it, they all seem to have common knowledge of where to get it, they all talk about what it's like, but you just don't know any dealers. ARGH!

So, I never thought I would need it dumbed down, but . . . can somebody dumb it down for me and explain, using small words, plenty of pictures and various hand gestures, how and where I can get the current version of installer? I can't just upgrade, because I don't have the original version anymore since I went to the 2.0 firmware.
    YouTube - Installer 4.0 Beta
  • 08-24-2008 | 06:33 PM
  • rkyle80 Posts: 12
  • I have restarted my phone 4 times, and refreshed my sources close to 10 times and still have no update for the installer. Scrolled through "all programs" probably 20 times just in case the update didn't automatically register. What's the problem?
  • 08-24-2008 | 06:48 PM
  • Real_Iphonecrazy Posts: 110
  • "nickmc01" Can you explain then why installer for previos FW1x was falling apart, was never maintained, bug reports were ignored, broken promises of open source, system passwords broken and never fixed.

Why will installer 4 be any diferent?

I have tinkered with installer 4 but after what developer did with Kate regarding Winterboard I will not be updating it and will not be installing it when I pwn to 2.0,2

I can see no point in Installer on FW2.0,0 after all Installer can't do anything Cydia can't do, but Cydia can do plenty that installer will never be able to do.

While the developers have brought out a crap piece of software (installer 4) jay has made Cydia better and better he's also made Winterboard and Cycorder. Go on Saurik show how it should be done.

Cydia 10 installed 0.

IphoneCrazy

P.S. Before slaying me of try reading up on the subject, then you might agree with me.

http:www.saurik.com/id2

www.saurik.com/Id/2

Packaging Issues with AppTapp - Jay Freeman (saurik)

First link incorrect

first 2 ;-)

also worth reading

Bringing Debian APT to the iPhone - Jay Freeman (saurik)

Last edited by Real_Iphonecrazy; 08-24-2008 at 06:48 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
  • 08-24-2008 | 10:24 PM
  • mashom Posts: 61
  • hey guys i dont know what to do ...
    i have updated installer 4 from 4.0b4 to 4.0b6
    but after installation i press the home key and my iphone soft reset
    and now when i click on installer it open and crashes back to springboard
    what to do ?
    any terminal commands ?
  • 08-24-2008 | 10:29 PM
  • GrandmaPearl Posts: 46
  • crashed when i first opened installer after the update
  • 08-25-2008 | 12:25 AM
  • svenbox Posts: 9
  • I just get this Bad URL Errors all the time when I try to update.... Installer sucks

And whatever you do - DONT INSTALL KATE!!! It messes up your phone real bad. My phone app started crashing - well that's just worthless... So just dont install KATE! It was impossible to uninstall, I had to restore...

Last edited by svenbox; 08-25-2008 at 12:25 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
  • 08-25-2008 | 12:38 AM
  • elr0y7's Avatar elr0y7 Posts: 56
  • Did you guys try setting the permissions for the installer.app folder? You should set it to 0755; I would say to set it to 0777 but when I've done that before I got a message while opening installer that the permissions weren't set properly. Because of that one thing you might want to do before setting all permissions to 0755 is to go through the folder and see what permissions all files have by default (especially the important, unique-looking files), if they have 0777 make sure you set that file back to 0777 after you set all files in the folder to 0755.
    Quote de davethegreat
    Really, I am starting to feel like I am just going crazy or something . . . but I can't figure out how to install Installer.
    LOL, I know EXACTLY how you feel! Because of the fact that most people install these installers during the "pwning" process there aren't many other sources for the program other than the pwning programs and the official source (which doesn't help much with installer, I've learned to HATE the outdated, bleak installer sites!). You really have to do some digging and questioning to find them. I love your analogy, btw, I've been in that situation before too!

And @ Iphonecrazy, I don't think nick develops the app, he's just supporting it, which I do too btw alongside Cydia (it's like PC's and Macs, you can go on forever about which is better but they both really do have their exclusive pros and cons whether they be statistical, aesthetic or sentimental, and you can't go wrong when you gots BOTH! )
Return to Top