Thread Back Search
  • User Name
  • Password

Boot Image Tutorial

• 08-30-2008 | 02:41 PM
  • E-Dragon's Avatar E-Dragon Posts: 362
  • Ok I’ve been asked to create a turorial on creating a boot image to work in PWNing... Although I’ve seen a few, the ones I’ve seen don’t address the biggest issue. The biggest issue of corse is the file SIZE (The 100KB limit) This tutorial is to help you to make ANY 320X480 image meet that requirement...

Step 1:
    Import or open your 320 X 480 @ 96 dpi image. This is the optimal size and MUST be at least 96dpi but any thing over 96dpi is pretty much a waste and below 96dpi will not work..

Step 2:
    Convert it to a paletted color format.. In most cases a 256 color format is ok, but you may need to drop it down to 128 colors. Save as a PNG file, making sure it is smaller than 100KB

OK that’s the generic version now here’s the walk thru in CS2..
    I’m using CS2 simply because I like the way it exports PNG’s You can use any program that gives you FULL control over the color palette, you can use programs that give you preset number of colors (2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256) but depending on your image, it might not be as good and you could run into file size constraints and or poor quality images ..

Step 1:
    Open your 320X480 96dpi image.

Step 2:
    Under file select “Save For Web” - The reason you want to use the “save for Web” feature is because it gives you a real time account of the file size as you make any changes.

Step 3:
    Select PNG-8

Step 4:
    Play with the color selection processes and the dithering process to find one that looks the best.

Try to keep the number of colors at 256.

Step 5:
    Before you save it! The image size must be at or below 63.0 K If not, it will be to big!
    You can change the image file size by either changing the color selection process (image #4)
    or by lowering the number of colors (image #5) Try the color selection process first then number of colors, even the dithering will make a difference (tho not a lot). You can lower the number of colors just by a few (like from 256 to 250) to help out too. Don't forget, it will look better on the smaller screen of your phone then it does right now..

Step 6:
    When it is below 63.0K Click Save and you’re done..

Last edited by E-Dragon; Today at 08:35 PM.
  • 08-30-2008 | 05:02 PM
  • Beva922's Avatar Beva922 Posts: 35
  • So id do this before jailbreaking, or is there a way to change an already jail broken iphone's boot logo?
  • 08-30-2008 | 05:26 PM
  • 461am's Avatar 461am Posts: 272
  • You'd have to do it before. Winpwn used to let you add it later, but I don't think that's a feature anymore.
  • 08-30-2008 | 05:57 PM
  • docomar Posts: 8
  • @E-DRAGON

Can I PLEASE download your final Boot Image sexy sample

THANKS
  • 08-30-2008 | 06:18 PM
  • 461am's Avatar 461am Posts: 272
  • search for babe boot images.
  • 08-30-2008 | 10:06 PM
  • For those of you who want that boot image I used in the tutorial you can get her HERE
    She's all ready to go, you can just PWN her

Last edited by E-Dragon; 08-30-2008 at 10:12 PM.
  • Yesterday | 11:21 AM
  • Poseidon79's Avatar Poseidon79 Posts: 1,906
  • When I create my image it is RGB, 2 Layers. When I open up your image it's Indexed, 1 Layer. How do I make mine like yours?
  • Yesterday | 12:38 PM
  • Quote de Poseidon79
    When I create my image it is RGB, 2 Layers. When I open up your image it's Indexed, 1 Layer. How do I make mine like yours?
    In Adobe or Corel ? I usually make (and edit) all my images in Photo-Paint X4 Because I know all of that program and it handles images much easier and better than Adobe (But they both do pretty much the same thing) So I take it you want to know in CS2 or 3... Simple; under “Layer” (at the top of the window) bring up the sub menu, then “Flatten Image” or you can right click NEXT to the thumb in the layers window/tab and flatten image there too.. Also; I might add, that just saving a image as a BMP,JPG (or the like) will also flatten that image - not all formats will allow layering

Hope this helps you..

Last edited by E-Dragon; Yesterday at 12:51 PM.
Return to Top