ModMyMotoModMyiModMyGphone

Unlocked iPhones

Apple Forums | ModMyi.com | iPhone, iPod, Mac, OS X, Mods, More > iPhone Modding > T-mobile

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2007, 02:44 PM
What's Jailbreak?

Wow, lots of arguing from the T-Mobile guys. Well I am a tech support rep and have been dealing with hotspot @ home service for a while. It is called UMA or Unlicensed Mobile Access, basically its a Wi-Fi service that only phones can use. The reason for this is hardware as well as software based, the Wi-Fi chip is not the same as you might find in another phone that can use basic Wi-Fi. Also the firmware has to obviously be changed in order to accommodate this different hardware spec. The only devices able to connect to the UMA service must have that specific chipset as well as proper configuration of the firmware.

I agree 100% that unless you really know what you are talking about try to do the research first, saying that you are going to do the research later and get back is a meaningless post because you're just throwing out information that may or may not be true to people that may or may not come back to read a later article. Know from whence you speak prior to speaking.
Digg StumbleUpon Delicious Reddit Newsvine Google Yahoo Thanks Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to keyper For This Useful Post:
csalaski (04-13-2008)
Old 08-28-2008, 09:24 AM
What's Jailbreak?

Since the hot.spot phones will work with any router, it's not possible that any special hardware would be required. The phone must make standard connections with the router and make regular TCP/IP calls. It would only be required to sniff out the communication between a hot.spot phone and it's router and replicate that traffic on the iphone. I don't have the equipment to do that, but I can't imagine that it wouldn't work. Could a router record the traffic?

But why would you want to. Why not use the wi/fi on the iphone to connect to Skype, and skip the hot.spot service. There are other hacks to get the iphone to use T-mobile cell service for when wi/fi wasn't available. Can some one help me out with this?
Old 08-28-2008, 12:49 PM
iPhone? More like MyPhone

Device + Firmware: TMobile/FW 2.0.2/PwnTool 2.0.3.1
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4.11

To answer the original question - The iPhone DOES NOT WORK with TMobile@Home.
Old 08-28-2008, 04:12 PM
What's Jailbreak?

Maybe icall.com

Your only hope will be icall.com. They claim a release shortly. Claims to be able to use wifi and switch back and forth.
Old 08-29-2008, 12:21 AM
What's Jailbreak?

@home phones are simply cell phones with VOIP technology, so they work on most routers, mainly linksys though, but i've managed to use my nokia 6086 on most routers, netgear, apple, linksys, as long as the channel is on 1 or 6. You don't have to subscribe to the service at all.

wish iphone had VOIP.
Old 08-29-2008, 04:40 PM
What's Jailbreak?

Device + Firmware: Iphone 3G
Operating System: MAC Leopard
Send a message via AIM to robeeen Send a message via Yahoo to robeeen

Just to let you guys know, don't feel bad if you can't get it working, I had it for 6 months with my blackberry curve and it was horrible on 2 separate routers. I mean, don't get me wrong, you can still hold a conversation, but it dropped a lot, etc.. I'm a fan of it and think it will get better, but right now - not so good.
Old 08-29-2008, 06:20 PM
iPhoneaholic

Device + Firmware: 1st gen iphone with 2.1
Operating System: Vista 64, Vista 32, OS X, Windows 7
Send a message via AIM to Pcpro745 Send a message via MSN to Pcpro745 Send a message via Yahoo to Pcpro745

The only reason it would drop calls if:

A - Slow Internet
B - QOS for voice is not setup on the router

i just set it up on my router and it works great, But if you dont have QOS setup or have a slow connection it sucks. Its been working great for me with my wifes Curve
Old 08-29-2008, 07:33 PM
What's Jailbreak?

Device + Firmware: Iphone 3G
Operating System: MAC Leopard
Send a message via AIM to robeeen Send a message via Yahoo to robeeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pcpro745 View Post
The only reason it would drop calls if:

A - Slow Internet
B - QOS for voice is not setup on the router

i just set it up on my router and it works great, But if you dont have QOS setup or have a slow connection it sucks. Its been working great for me with my wifes Curve
Well I have T2 cable so speed is definitely not a problem, I had the t-mobile router - D-link. Then I got the t-mobile at home service for my home phone so they gave me a new router. YEah, they both suck in different ways. You must be one of the lucky ones.

The first router did this weird thing where when I called someone it took about 30 seconds for the other person to hear me. I could hear them and I would hear a bunch of digitizing in their voice. After 30 seconds the conversation would be ok. Problem is, if you call someone that doesn't know "my problem" then they would hang up on me. I told all of my friends but sometimes they would forget and hang up on me too. The second router (the one I currently have) just sounds scratchy and will drop me sometimes. I called t-mobile and they said the technology is new, so just stick with it. (after trying to fix it). Since I'm going iphone, I just dropped the service 2 days ago, otherwise i would have stuck with it until they fixed it all. It's definitely a nice thing, I'm not complaining, I'm just saying I'm not gonna be upset that I don't have it!
Old 08-29-2008, 07:35 PM
iPhoneaholic

Device + Firmware: 1st gen iphone with 2.1
Operating System: Vista 64, Vista 32, OS X, Windows 7
Send a message via AIM to Pcpro745 Send a message via MSN to Pcpro745 Send a message via Yahoo to Pcpro745

Im not using T-mobile hacked crap routers, Linksys WRT54G with DD-WRT, I would get rid of there crap and get you a real router and throw DD-WRT on it, I have never had a problem and with DD-WRT you can set custom QOS fir Video, Voice and tons of options

But if you have the @home service then your stuck with the new linksys, Which sucks also, i wish they woulda used one of the WRT models they have more space and ram

Apple Forums | ModMyi.com | iPhone, iPod, Mac, OS X, Mods, More > iPhone Modding > T-mobile