ModMyMotoModMyiModMyGphone

Unlocked iPhones

Apple Forums | ModMyi.com | iPhone, iPod, Mac, OS X, Mods, More > OS X 86 > General OSX86 Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2008, 08:19 AM
MMi Writer

Device + Firmware: iPhone 3G 16GB White: Jailbroken
Operating System: Mac OS X Leopard
Send a message via AIM to Numberzz

Yes, it's illegal. Do I think Apple will ever catch you? No. The only really plausible way that anyone could ever catch you is if someone caught you torrenting one of the modded releases that matched your hardware.
Now I'm staff on the OSx86 forum (insanelymac.com), and no one has ever said that they've gotten an email from Apple, or been sued or anything like that. If you want to do it? Fine, it'll be hard, but after you get the vanilla kernel up and running, you can even run software updates right from the Software Update application. It's really a lot of fun, but getting it to run for the first time can be time consuming.

MacBook Pro 17" 2.4GHz C2D, 4GB RAM, Glossy 1920x1200, 160 GB 7200 RPM HDD, Leopard, Windows Vista
MacBook Air 1.6GHz C2D, 2GB RAM, 80GB 4200 RPM HDD, Leopard
iPhone 3G 16GB White: Jailbroken
Digg StumbleUpon Delicious Reddit Newsvine Google Yahoo Thanks Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Numberzz For This Useful Post:
NakedFaerie (09-03-2008)
Old 08-29-2008, 09:00 AM
Super Moderator

Device + Firmware: Bat-Phone
Operating System: Windows XP | OS X 10.5.4
Send a message via Skype? to dale1v

vanilla 9.4, woo!
Took me ages to get mine running as smoothly as it is now. But boy is it worth the time.

Last edited by dale1v; 08-29-2008 at 09:08 AM.
Old 08-29-2008, 10:06 AM
Green Apple

OK the softwares legal if you have a mac (im gunna say any mac) or running on a piece of mac hard ware or if your a mac software developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numberzz View Post
Yes, it's illegal. Do I think Apple will ever catch you? No. The only really plausible way that anyone could ever catch you is if someone caught you torrenting one of the modded releases that matched your hardware.
Now I'm staff on the OSx86 forum (insanelymac.com), and no one has ever said that they've gotten an email from Apple, or been sued or anything like that. If you want to do it? Fine, it'll be hard, but after you get the vanilla kernel up and running, you can even run software updates right from the Software Update application. It's really a lot of fun, but getting it to run for the first time can be time consuming.
thats because jobs would have them so quickly in jail they wouldn't have time to drop a line - or a message

Last edited by ads1230; 08-29-2008 at 10:06 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-29-2008, 01:33 PM
iPhone? More like MyPhone

Device + Firmware: iPhone 8Gb 1.1.4
Operating System: Windows XP/Vista
Send a message via AIM to the sr5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpjr View Post
The satisfaction after your done...........Priceless.
^^ True Statement...

I Love my hackint0sh, i spent a Full week and a half everyday when i got off working messing with it to get it the way it is now... i still cant get dual monitor support for some strange reason but ill figure it out soon, the Girl was pretty upset that week too haha, but the pay off is well worth it...!! i use my hackint0sh more then i use my windows PC by a large margin, gaming only on the PC, Surfing, designing, work, pretty much everything else besides gaming i do on the hackint0sh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ads1230 View Post
OK the softwares legal if you have a mac (im gunna say any mac) or running on a piece of mac hard ware or if your a mac software developer

thats because jobs would have them so quickly in jail they wouldn't have time to drop a line - or a message

^ but someone would have to know that person... that he so quickly expedited so yeah there would be something posted on the forum.. about someone being hauled off..

It Is What It Is...

Last edited by the sr5; 08-29-2008 at 01:33 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
The Following User Says Thank You to the sr5 For This Useful Post:
dale1v (08-29-2008)
Old 08-29-2008, 01:34 PM
Green Apple

Device + Firmware: iPhone 1.1.3
Operating System: Vista/XP

Yeah, it's illegal, no, nobody will ever sue you ever, in fact nobody will care.
On 1.1.2 OTB
AT&T
Old 08-29-2008, 01:48 PM
Super Moderator

Device + Firmware: Bat-Phone
Operating System: Windows XP | OS X 10.5.4
Send a message via Skype? to dale1v

Quote:
Originally Posted by the sr5 View Post
^^ True Statement...

I Love my hackint0sh, i spent a Full week and a half everyday when i got off working messing with it to get it the way it is now... i still cant get dual monitor support for some strange reason but ill figure it out soon, the Girl was pretty upset that week too haha, but the pay off is well worth it...!! i use my hackint0sh more then i use my windows PC by a large margin, gaming only on the PC, Surfing, designing, work, pretty much everything else besides gaming i do on the hackint0sh...
Gaming is the only thing I go into Windows XP for now.
My biggest problem was getting QE/CI support on my 7600, and NVKush or NVinject weren't working at all. What I had to do was to make a dump of my gfx card ROM, open a hexadecimal editor, edit a few bytes, and then flash the patched file in DOS to get it working properly. Then I installed NVInstaller v.41. When I rebooted, everything was kosher.
http://nvinject.free.fr/512Mb.html
Take a swing at that. (provided your graphics card has 512MB VRAM)

Last edited by dale1v; 08-29-2008 at 01:56 PM.
Old 08-29-2008, 01:49 PM
My iPhone is a Part of Me

Device + Firmware: iPhone 3G 16GB 2.1 JB (OTB 2.0)
Operating System: Win XP
Send a message via MSN to Imahottguy

I you purchase the OS, then how could it be illegal? against EULA? Probably, but that doesn't necessarily make it illegal. Unlocking and Jailbreaking the iPhone goes against EULA, but it is not illegal...

Your doing something with an OS that it is not specifically intended to do. Apple will not give you any support, but there are communities online devoted to getting OSX on PC. The only illegal thing would be if you get any copywrited files (read: iTunesMobileDevice.dll) via the web. But even so, no one cares that you are doing this (legally speaking). I bet apple would care even less if you purchased an actual copy of the OS.

Just my $0.02
Welcome Ethan Riley: Born 4.16.08 at 7:59am. 7lbs 8oz 21.25 inches long.
Old 08-29-2008, 03:59 PM
iPhone? More like MyPhone

Device + Firmware: iPhone 8Gb 1.1.4
Operating System: Windows XP/Vista
Send a message via AIM to the sr5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imahottguy View Post
I you purchase the OS, then how could it be illegal? against EULA? Probably, but that doesn't necessarily make it illegal. Unlocking and Jailbreaking the iPhone goes against EULA, but it is not illegal...

Your doing something with an OS that it is not specifically intended to do. Apple will not give you any support, but there are communities online devoted to getting OSX on PC. The only illegal thing would be if you get any copywrited files (read: iTunesMobileDevice.dll) via the web. But even so, no one cares that you are doing this (legally speaking). I bet apple would care even less if you purchased an actual copy of the OS.

Just my $0.02
This is true, if you Purchase a copy of the OS then install a OSX86 Custom OS then there is no way they can sue you, reason is that even though you dont have a mac hardware machine you still want to use OS X, so you can say you went and purchased it and realized that it didnt work and you just installed another copy from somewhere else this is of course as long as you dont give your purchase copy away and you just keep it for no reason really... just as long as apple gets there money for something i dont think it would really matter

It Is What It Is...
Old 08-29-2008, 04:16 PM
Green Apple

Device + Firmware: iPhone 1.1.3
Operating System: Vista/XP

No, you guys don't know anything. It doesn't matter if you've bought 1000 leopard copies, it's still illegal. The End User License Agreement states it can only be installed on authorized machines.

So, just do it and stop caring
On 1.1.2 OTB
AT&T
Old 08-29-2008, 07:32 PM
iPhoneaholic

Device + Firmware: iPhone 8GB 2.1 Activated
Operating System: Hackint0sh 10.5.5 iAtkos
Send a message via AIM to marsman478 Send a message via MSN to marsman478 Send a message via Yahoo to marsman478 Send a message via Skype? to marsman478

cool thanks everyone! Well I have a copy of 10.4 that came with my old mac that broke, I LOOVed that mac but it died out of warranty . So I have a PC box that I want to install the the mac os on because I am sick of Linux+XP
Old 08-29-2008, 07:42 PM
My iPhone is a Part of Me

Device + Firmware: iPhone 3G 16GB 2.1 JB (OTB 2.0)
Operating System: Win XP
Send a message via MSN to Imahottguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMSiphone View Post
No, you guys don't know anything. It doesn't matter if you've bought 1000 leopard copies, it's still illegal. The End User License Agreement states it can only be installed on authorized machines.

So, just do it and stop caring

FAIL

The EULA is not a LAW, it is an 'Agreement'. So then, by your logic, jailbreaking and unlocking are 'illegal' as well?
Welcome Ethan Riley: Born 4.16.08 at 7:59am. 7lbs 8oz 21.25 inches long.
Digg StumbleUpon Delicious Reddit <a href="http://www.newsvine.com/_tools/seed&save?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.modmyi.com%2Fforums%2Fshowthread.php&t=315651&