ModMyMotoModMyiModMyGphone

Unlocked iPhones

Apple Forums | ModMyi.com | iPhone, iPod, Mac, OS X, Mods, More > iPhone Modding > AT&T

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2008, 03:52 AM
What's Jailbreak?

Can ATT find out that you are tethering?

ok... I got it work tethering on my iPhone 3G with vista.

Is there anyway that att can tells that i'm tethering from my iPhone?

did anyone get caught for tethering?
Digg StumbleUpon Delicious Reddit Newsvine Google Yahoo Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 04:12 AM
Green Apple

Device + Firmware: iphone 2.1.0
Operating System: vista

Yes that's a att no,no. they can tell thru data usage. they will start charging you the $80 laptop connect if they find out.
Old 08-26-2008, 10:21 AM
iPhone? More like MyPhone

Device + Firmware: 4gig iPhone 1.1.4 jailbroken
Operating System: mac osx
Send a message via AIM to danvicente

idk...i went to my local ATT store and i asked the man in charge there "does ATT have any policies on tethering" and he replied with "yes its 15 dollars a month to add it to your plan" I explained to him how i already got it to work without paying for it and he said "if you got it to work then your okay" So right now Im trusting the ATT store there haha, I think youll be fine as long as you dont stream movies etc on it. Simple web browsing etc is okay
Old 08-26-2008, 11:29 AM
What's Jailbreak?

Device + Firmware: iPhone 3G 16 Gb White 2.1 on AT&T
Operating System: Sony Vaio Laptop w/ Windows XP

I used to work for AT&T, there is an alert that pops up if your data usuage goes over a certain point and then they automatically slap on the extra charge.
Old 08-26-2008, 11:35 AM
What's Jailbreak?

I know a manger for AT&T, and this person said no they can't tell. Just don't abuse the data usage.
Old 09-01-2008, 11:59 PM
My iPhone is a Part of Me

Device + Firmware: iPhone 3G 16GB 2.1 JB (OTB 2.0)
Operating System: Win XP
Send a message via MSN to Imahottguy

They can't tell 100%, it's just that if you are using an abnormally high amount of data, they may charge ya.
Welcome Ethan Riley: Born 4.16.08 at 7:59am. 7lbs 8oz 21.25 inches long.
Old 09-02-2008, 03:36 AM
Green Apple

Device + Firmware: iPhone White Japanese
Operating System: XP Tablet

I heard freakingly stories from a softbank employee, former vodafone in japan, about how 1) they do know and 2) don't say anything until you went all the way to the amount you'll probably not be able to pay without selling your sister into slavery. I think the iphone's speed is limited by the hardware but your laptop isn't... Anyway, 10,000 dollars in a single day until they call you and ask you to stop is a risk I don't wanna take...
Old 09-02-2008, 09:01 AM

Device + Firmware: iPhone 3G 2.0.2 WinPWN2.5
Operating System: Window$ XP Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by danvicente View Post
idk...i went to my local ATT store and i asked the man in charge there "does ATT have any policies on tethering" and he replied with "yes its 15 dollars a month to add it to your plan" I explained to him how i already got it to work without paying for it and he said "if you got it to work then your okay" So right now Im trusting the ATT store there haha, I think youll be fine as long as you dont stream movies etc on it. Simple web browsing etc is okay
There is no tethering plan available for the iPhone so be careful! My pcmcia card contract is finished this month so I am looking into tethering. It will be nice not to pay $60 anymore.
Old 09-06-2008, 01:59 PM
Green Apple

Device + Firmware: iPhone 3G 2.0.1
Operating System: Vista Home Premium SP1 AND Hackintosh 10.5.2

They can't tell because of the fact that a jailbroken iPhone will download the same kind of things a pc can, for instance downloading an app from cydia or installer is indistinguishable from downloading an app on a pc. the only way they can tell is if they do deep packet inspection and then they can tell. I would advise using a VPN so that they can't do deep packet inspection on it though.
Old 09-06-2008, 03:03 PM

Device + Firmware: iphone 3G 2.1 pwned
Operating System: osx86/vista
Send a message via AIM to z3r01

I started tethering yesterday and I for firefix, aim and utorrent working. AT&T can definitely tell by the browser you are using
Old 09-06-2008, 04:35 PM

Device + Firmware: iPhone 2.2
Operating System: OS X, Vista, Ubuntu
Send a message via AIM to DoerrFan

They can tell.
Old 11-18-2008, 04:26 PM
What's Jailbreak?

Device + Firmware: iphone 3g 2.1jb
Operating System: osx 10.5.5
i talked to att myself

if you go to att's website, youll see contact us and from there you can have a live chat with them. thats just what i did and asked some of these questions. below is our conversation. i have picked out the noted parts to safe space and less reading for you all.

"richard marasek: andrew, is it ok to do so. i heard a lot about a future 30 dollar charge and im just wanting to clear things up

Ourana Camacho: Thank you for your patience, Andrew. Unfortunately, it is not possible to tether with the iphone at this time.

richard marasek: it is possible, but for those that dont have netshare or a jailbroken iphone but some are waiting for your new plan for tethering. ok, next question. is it possible for att to see that you have tethered or not sense hacked phones do the same as pcs anyways

Ourana Camacho: No, it is not possible for AT&T to detect the device has been hacked.

richard marasek: is it possible for them to detect if youre tethering though. lots of questions have been asking that on forums

Ourana Camacho: No, there is no way for AT&T to detect you are tethering the device.

richard marasek: so, im not saying its ok but with ppl not wanting to pay the extra charge for tethering, will it be free sense we pay the unlimited data

Ourana Camacho: Yes, I believe it will be free, since they have an unlimited data plan.

richard marasek: ok, thanks for your help."

notice he says att CAN NOT tell that you are tethering and he says he THINKS it will be free. i hope this clears things up. and thanks for taking the time to read this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by z3r01 View Post
I started tethering yesterday and I for firefix, aim and utorrent working. AT&T can definitely tell by the browser you are using
you can get firefox, aim, and bittorrent for the iphone now so they cant hold that against you now.

Last edited by redspade04; 11-18-2008 at 04:26 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 11-18-2008, 05:15 PM
Green Apple

I just move to a place and i don,t have any internet,i been tethering for the last 5 days and so far i have download 3gigs of data out my Iphone,Im with Rogers 6 gb plan, Im allow to do that with rogers?
Anybody in Canada had any problems with tethering?

sorry if this not att related,Don't want to write a new tread.
Digg StumbleUpon Delicious Reddit Newsvine <a href="http://www.google.com/bookmarks/mark?op=add&bkmk=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.modmyi.com%2Fforums%2Fshowthread.php&t=310731&title=Can ATT find out that you are tethering